- Entry is free via the submission form.
- Each entrant can submit up to three gifs for the competition.
- Each individual entry must include one piece of digital content that is available online from Europeana (http://www.europeana.eu/portal/), DPLA (https://dp.la), DigitalNZ (http://digitalnz.org) or Trove (http://trove.nla.gov.au/). Entries that do not contain at least one item from these libraries will not be considered.
- Each individual entry must contain the URL(s) to the source material used (e.g, http://www.europeana.eu/portal/en/record/90402/SK_A_3089.html); entries without a proper URL from one of the four participating digital libraries will not be considered.
- All source material must be available for free and legal reuse (i.e., the item has a Creative Commons license that does not restrict the creation of derivatives, or is in the public domain, has no known copyright, or is openly licensed).
- Entries submitted to the GIF IT UP competition containing public domain material grant the competition organisers the right to assign a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) licence to this work. Entries containing Creative Commons-licensed content will also be assigned a CC BY 4.0, unless the source has an SA component to the licence, in which case the same licence will be applied.
- Size must be no larger than 2MB and no more than 540 pixels wide
- Entries will be judged by external judges, their decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
Grand prize winner will receive an Electric Object - a digital photo frame especially for GIFs, sponsored by GIPHY
3 runners-up will receive 50€/50$ online gift cards, compliments of Europeana.
First-time GIF-maker category winner will receive an online gift card and a goody bag, compliments of Europeana.
People’s choice award winner will receive a Giphoscope.
- The organizers reserve the right to disqualify works that breach third party intellectual property rights, contain language or imagery that is offensive or obscene, or material that is confidential or invasive of personal privacy, or infringes the rights of any other person.
- In uploading your entry you give permission for Europeana, DPLA, DigitalNZ, Trove, and the competition’s judges to post your work to the competition's website, promote via the organizations and judges’ other online channels, and adapt for other possible promotional and editorial purposes.
- Lastly, we encourage you to be aware of those with impaired vision when making your GIF. Consider slowing down the animation and providing descriptive contextual information with your entry.