Do you have an idea on a topic related to general insurance claims that you want industry leaders to hear?
Now in its second year, the Bright Light Award is a platform for general insurance professionals to pitch an idea or opinion on general insurance claims to a panel of industry leaders. Get your idea out there and you could win prizes valued up to $6,500, including $5,000 cash!
How to Enter
You can enter as an individual or as a team (of up to 3 people) by presenting your idea or opinion in your choice of either:
- A short video (no longer than 5 minutes); or
- A written submission up to 800 words; or
- A voiceover of images in PowerPoint.
Your idea could be big or small, for something or against it, specific to an area of claims or something that applies to the general insurance claims as a whole. It might be:
- a way claims could be resolved better in your area of the industry or the role insurer’s play in the community
- the way the industry approaches claims of a certain type that you could be handled more effectively
- getting rid of a simple step in claims that you don’t think is relevant any more. It doesn’t have to be something that hasn’t been done before (but it could be!)
Once you have created your submission simply fill in the registration form but not before you have read all the important points below!
Each Award participant will earn six (6) CIP points where eligible.
The finalists will be invited to a short discussion to explore their idea in w/c 18 November 2019 and the prizes will be awarded at the ANZIIF General Insurance breakfast in Sydney on Wednesday, 4 December 2019.
Your entry will be judged on the following criteria:
- How well you set out the basic premise of your idea or your view (40%)
- The reasons you outline for why it’s a good idea or a persuasive view (30%)
- Consideration of the outcomes and wider implications (positive and negative) that your idea or view might have if adopted (20%)
- The quality and creativity of your entry (10%). For video entries it is not the quality of the recording, but the content that matters. You can record on your camera, iPhone or other portable device.
2019 Judging Panel
The judging panel comprises the following industry leaders:
- Kerrie Challenor, Chief People and Operations Officer, NTI Limited
- Simone Dossetor, COO, Munich Re
- Peter Fitzgerald, National Technical Claims Manager, Allianz
- Chris Rodd, Insurance Law Consultant
- Michael Parker, Managing Director, Queenscorp (2018 Scholarship winner)
- Prue Willsford, CEO, ANZIIF
- Paul Angus, Partner, TurksLegal
- Anthea Karvounaris, Partner, TurksLegal
The winner will receive:
- $5,000 cash, and
- up to $1,500 to spend on coaching and professional development of your choice, and an exclusive opportunity to work with TurksLegal and ANZIIF to showcase their idea across the general insurance industry.
The runner-up of the Award will receive complimentary registration(s) to the 2020 AICLA/ANZIIF Claims Convention in Australia including return flights and two nights’ accommodation.
Rules for Entry
- Your entry must relate to general insurance claims in Australia and you must meet the entry criteria. Click here for Submission guidelines.
- Submissions should not reference your company or any other specific general insurance company directly.
- If you are referencing or developing an existing idea or process, your entry MUST identify the source of the idea or process. Ideas relating to something that has already been implemented should expand or improve on that idea.
- The Bright Light Award is open to all Australian residents and applicants must work directly in a capacity connected with general insurance (for the purposes of the entry criteria, the term ‘general insurance’ includes workers compensation), and be based in Australia.
- Entry is not open to lawyers, accountants, or medico-legal consultants employed in capacities other than as direct employees of a general insurance company (which includes reinsurance companies or insurance claims management companies). Entry is not open to members of the ANZIIF board or ANZIIF employees.
- Entrants must submit their application and accept the Terms and Conditions by no later than 17:00pm AEST on Tuesday, 1 October 2019.
- Further information about the Bright Light Award is available at TurksLegal and ANZIIF websites.