NATIONAL LIBRARY WEEK + LITTLE FREE LIBRARY CONTEST
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY
1. DESCRIPTION OF THE CONTEST: The National Library Week Contest (“Contest”) is designed to give Entrants (“Entrants”) the opportunity to submit an application explaining why their community needs a little free library. The Prizes will be awarded to the Entrants who submit the best entries as determined by the judges in accordance with these Official Rules. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. Entrants agree to be bound by the terms of these official rules and by the decisions of Chronicle Books LLC (“Chronicle”), which are final and binding on all matters pertaining to this Contest.
2. ELIGIBILITY: This Contest is open only to legal residents of the fifty United States and the District of Columbia who have reached the age of majority in their state of residence. Void where prohibited by law. The following individuals are not eligible: (a) employees of Chronicle and its parent, affiliate and subsidiary companies; and (b) members of the immediate family of a person in (a) and/or those living in the same household as a person in (a).
3. HOW TO ENTER: This Contest begins on April 13, 2015 at 12pm PT and ends on Tuesday, April 22, 2015, 11:59am (“Contest Period”). To enter, go to http://woobox.com/cey3tu (the “Site”) and follow the onscreen instructions. Entrants will be invited to submit an application of text responses to a few questions (“Submission”). Submissions must be submitted during the Contest Period. Chronicle’s clock is the official clock for the Contest. Submissions using macro, script or other forms of automatic entry will be disqualified. Chronicle or its designated representatives reserve the right to disqualify any Submission that does not conform to these Official Rules as determined by Chronicle in its sole discretion. Chronicle will not notify Entrant whether the Submission has been disqualified. Limit one Submission per person per email address during the Contest Period. By entering the Contest, Entrants understand that all Submissions may be used by Chronicle and its designees as set forth herein.
4. SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS: Each Submission must include answers to all required questions. Each Submission must also comply with the following:
(a) The Submission must be your own original work, created solely by you; must not have been previously published, released or distributed in any form; must not have won any award; and must not infringe the copyright, trademark, privacy, publicity, or other personal or proprietary rights of any person or entity.
(b) The Submission must not contain or reference any names, products or services of any company or entity or any third party trademarks, logos, trade dress or promotion of any brand, product or service.
(c) If any persons appear or are referred to in the Submission, you are solely responsible for obtaining, prior to submitting the Submission, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the Submission by Chronicle in accordance with these Official Rules. If any person appearing in any Submission is under the age of majority in their state of residence, the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
(d) Submissions that are lewd, obscene, sexually explicit, pornographic, disparaging, defamatory, libelous, or Submissions that otherwise contain inappropriate content or objectionable material may not be submitted and may be disqualified at any time in Chronicle’s sole and unfettered discretion.
(e) The Submission must not contain any personally identifiable information of any person other than yourself. Should you include personally identifiable information about yourself in your Submission, you acknowledge and agree that such information will be disclosed publicly and you are solely responsible for any consequences thereof.
(f) You may not be, nor may you work with parties in conjunction with your Submission who are: 1) represented under contract (e.g., by a talent agent or manager) that would limit or impair Chronicle’s ability to display your Submission in any media form; 2) subject to an acting or modeling contract that would make your/their appearance in the Submission a violation of any third-party rights; or 3) under any other contractual relationship, including but not limited to guild and/or union memberships, that may prevent Chronicle from being able to use the Submissions worldwide in all media in perpetuity on a royalty-free basis, without any payment or fee obligations.
Chronicle reserves the right in its sole and unfettered discretion to disqualify any Submission that it believes violates or potentially violates any of the foregoing requirements or otherwise fails to comply with any provision of these Official Rules. The decisions of Chronicle on this and all matters pertaining to the Contest shall be final and binding.
Entrants agree to indemnify and hold Chronicle harmless from and against any suits, claims, losses, damages and expenses, including reasonable attorney fees, that it may sustain from any breach of a representation or warranty made by the Entrant or the use of any rights granted by the Entrant to Chronicle hereunder.
5. JUDGING: All entries will be judged by an independent judging organization, based on the following criteria: Thoughtfulness of responses to the questions in the application (25%); appropriateness of the location chosen for the library (25%); potential for public good (25%), creativity (25%). In the event of a tie, the person among the tied entries with the highest score in “potential for public good” is the winner. Decisions of judges are final and binding. Winner will be notified by telephone, email and/or mail. If Chronicle cannot locate a potential winner within 7 days of attempted notification, the prize may be forfeited and an alternate winner may be selected.
6. PRIZES AND APPROXIMATE RETAIL VALUE: There will be 2 prize[s] awarded (“Prize[s]”), each consisting of the following:
• Two winners will each receive one custom Little Free Library sent to their home, along with a supply of Chronicle Books. Approximate retail value of each prize is $500.
All other expenses not specified herein are the responsibility of the winner. ALL TAXES ARE THE SOLE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE WINNER.
7. ALL PRIZE CONDITIONS: Specifics of prize will be determined by Chronicle in its sole discretion. No substitution or transfer of a prize will be permitted, except that Chronicle reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value if the advertised prize is unavailable. Prize cannot be transferred by winner or redeemed for cash and is valid only for the items detailed above, with no substitution of prize by winner. If a Prize element is not available for any reason, the remaining elements of the prize shall constitute full satisfaction of Chronicle’s prize obligation to winner, and no additional compensation will be awarded. Chronicle has no responsibility for cancellations, delays, or any other change by any company or person providing any element of the prize due to reasons beyond Chronicle’s control, and is not responsible or liable for any expenses incurred as a consequence thereof. The prize is awarded without warranty of any kind from Chronicle, express or implied, without limitation.
8. GRANT OF RIGHTS: All Entrants grant Chronicle the right to display their Submissions at the Site and on third party sites for purposes of this Contest. Entrants grant Chronicle the right to display their Submissions at the Site and on third party sites for advertising and promotional purposes. Winners hereby grant Chronicle a royalty free license, without geographic or time limitation, to display his or her Submission for promotional or advertising relating purposes in any and all media. Winners agree to sign any documents that may be necessary to affect the assignment of the licensing rights.
9. CONDITIONS OF PARTICIPATION
By participating in this Sweepstakes, all entrants represent and warrant that they are eligible to win.
By participating in this Contest all Entrants agree to release, indemnify and hold harmless the Chronicle from and against any liability, injury, death, loss or damages to Entrant or any person or entity, including without limitation damage to personal or real property, caused in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, by reason of their participation in this Contest (or related activities) or their acceptance, possession or use/misuse of a prize.
Chronicle is not responsible for lost, late, incomplete, damaged, stolen, invalid, unintelligible or misdirected information. Chronicle is not responsible for lost or late entries nor for electronic transmission errors resulting in omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operations or transmission, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to or alterations of entry materials, or for technical, network, telephone equipment, electronic, computer, hardware or software malfunctions or limitations of any kind, or inaccurate transmissions of or failure to receive entry information by Chronicle or presenter on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any Web site or any combination thereof. If for any reason the program is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of the Chronicle which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this Sweepstakes, the Chronicle reserves the right at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry process, violates these official rules, or acts in a disruptive or unsportsmanlike manner, and to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Sweepstakes. Chronicle reserves the right to select winners from eligible entries received as of the termination date. Without limiting the foregoing, Chronicle may reject any Submission, if in Chronicle's sole judgment, the Entrant has been disqualified, has questionable eligibility or is otherwise ineligible to enter or participate. CAUTION: A PERSON WHO ATTEMPTS DELIBERATELY TO UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THIS SWEEPSTAKES MAY BE SUBJECT TO CIVIL AND/OR CRIMINAL PENALTIES AND FINES; AND CHRONICLE RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH PERSON TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. If there is a dispute as to the identity of the entrant, the prize will be awarded to the authorized account holder of the email address. The “authorized account holder” is defined as the natural person to whom the email address is assigned. Chronicle is not responsible for any typographical or other error in the printing of the offer, administration of the Contest or in the announcement of the prize.
(e) Failure to comply with any requirement listed herein, as determined in Chronicle’s sole judgment, may result in forfeiture of the prize and an alternate winner may be selected.
10. GOVERNING LAW: All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules or the rights and obligations of participants or Chronicle in connection with the Contest shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the internal laws of the state of California without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules or provisions that would cause the application of any other state laws. Claims may not be resolved through any form of class action. Venue for all suits will be in federal or state courts located in the County of San Francisco, California.
11. SEVERABILITY: If any provision(s) of these Official Rules are held to be invalid or unenforceable, all remaining provisions hereof will remain in full force and effect.
12. WINNERS’ LIST: A copy of the winners’ list may be obtained by sending a written request to: Kathryn Jaller, c/o Chronicle Books postmarked between April 22, 2015 and received by May 1, 2015.