Graphic Design Program Rules
Purpose of the Contest
The City of Sacramento seeks concepts to activate the iconic Old Sacramento Waterfront destination through the enhancement of the historic ambiance, visitor experience, interpretive value, and connectivity of the Old Sacramento Waterfront.
The designs will be presented in community and web-based exhibits for stakeholders to examine and express their opinions about for the benefit of the City and its partners as they work to develop a set of implementable projects to revitalize the waterfront.
The Waterfront Idea Makers Designs
The desired images for the Waterfront Idea Makers should represent what would attract you to the Old Sacramento Waterfront. The image should be appealing to the public and may reflect the historic nature of this area.
Rules and Criteria
• No Entry fee is required to participate or win.
• The contest is void where prohibited by law, regulation statute or other appropriate legal authority.
• The contest is open to designers of any age; however, a designer must submit in the appropriate category. If a designer submits and entry in the children’s competition, the designer is not eligible for the People’s Choice Award.
• Contestants under the age of 18 must have parent or guardian consent.
• The person submitting the design is considered the contestant and the only person eligible to win a prize (unless an adult submits the design on behalf of a minor).
• Employees of the City of Sacramento may submit designs but are not eligible to win prizes.
• Original designs are encouraged but not required.
• Any design that depicts third-party copyrighted images must be accompanied by proof of permission from the copyright holder and allow the City of Sacramento to reproduce the image without compensation obligations.
• Any design that infringes on another’s copyright will be disqualified. The submitting artist is solely responsible for any infringement on copyrighted materials.
• Designs that have been entered in previous contests are allowed.
• By entering this competition, the artist is granting the City of Sacramento a non-exclusive worldwide perpetual license to reproduce images of the entrant’s designs on the City of Sacramento’s website, newsletters, reports and other items that can be used to generate funds to support the Waterfront Idea Makers program and the new vision for the Old Sacramento Waterfront. Designs will not be used for any other purpose than that which is stated here. Entries in the Children’s Competition may be utilized as part of the digital project display.
• Images that are controversial, sensationalistic or gruesome in nature will be rejected.
• Preliminary entries will not be returned.
• Entries must meet criteria to be eligible.
File size and Format: for judging, images must be a minimum of 72 dpi. Acceptable file formats are jpg, gif, png and pdf or similar format. Submitted images may be any size.
Submitting artwork: Entries accepted up to noon on March 13, 2019.
Judging and Criteria
The public will be directed to the Waterfront Idea Makers website http://www.cityofsacramento.org/City-Manager/Major-Projects/Old-Sacramento-Waterfront to vote for their favorite design. Voters will be asked to vote for their three favorite designs, comprised of Open Competition entries and the concept designs generated through the Waterfront Idea Makers Professional Program. The design with the most votes will be deemed the winner of the People’s Choice Award. Additionally, the entry in the Open Competition with the most votes will be awarded the Open Competition prize. The firms participating in the Waterfront Idea Makers Professional Program are not eligible for the Open Competition prize.
The winner of the Open Competition will receive $1,000 and the winner of the People’s Choice Award will receive a $5,000 prize.
Contestant Release, Hold Harmless, and Indemnity Agreement:
I understand the submission will remain the sole and exclusive product of the City of Sacramento from the date written by the contestant on this release and will remain the sole and exclusive product of the City of Sacramento indefinitely. The submission of all images shall be the exclusive property of the City of Sacramento and may be edited, altered or used in any medium, for any time as deemed necessary by the City of Sacramento.
I hereby release the City of Sacramento from any and all claims that any advertising the incorporates the artwork that I submitted that is subsequently produced, presented, and/or prepared by or on behalf of the City of Sacramento infringes my rights with regard to any elements, characters, or ideas contained in my submission.
I shall defend, hold harmless and indemnify City of Sacramento, its officers and employees, and each and every one of them, from and against any and all actions, damages, costs, liabilities, claims, demands, losses, judgments, penalties, costs and expenses of every type and description, including, but not limited to, any fees and/or costs reasonably incurred by the City of Sacramento’s staff attorneys or outside attorneys and any fees and expenses incurred in enforcing this provision (hereafter collectively referred to as “Liabilities”), including but not limited to Liabilities arising from my submission, or my conduct in creating a submission, or otherwise in connection with this contest, including, but not limited to, claims for trademark infringement, copyright infringement, violation of an individual’s right of publicity or right of privacy, or defamation whether or not (i) such Liabilities are caused in part by a party indemnified hereunder or (ii) such Liabilities are litigated, settled or reduced to judgment; provided that the foregoing indemnity does not apply to liability for any damage or expense for damage to property to the extent arising from the sole negligence or willful misconduct of the City of Sacramento, its agents, servants, or independent contractors who are directly responsible to City of Sacramento, except when such agents, servants, or independent contractors are under my direct supervision and control.
This acknowledgement, release, consent, hold harmless, and indemnity agreement is effective the date that I submit it to the City of Sacramento and continues indefinitely.
Open Competition Adult Acknowledgement Agreement and Release Statement
By submitting an entry, I certify the information provided above is accurate and complete to the best of my knowledge. I certify the artwork I have submitted is of my own creation, I did not copy it from any other source. If my entry includes third-party copyrighted images, I understand that I must provide the City of Sacramento with written proof of permission to use the copyrighted image and permission for the City of Sacramento to reproduce the image without obligation to the copyright holder. I agree to abide by the guidelines of this contest and understand that all judgments are final and interpretation of the guidelines is at the City of Sacramento’s sole discretion. By submitting my artwork, I hereby grant the City of Sacramento a non-exclusive worldwide perpetual license to reproduce images of my artwork on the City of Sacramento’s website, newsletters, reports and other items that can be used to generate funds to support the Waterfront Idea Makers program and the new vision for the Old Sacramento Waterfront. I also acknowledge that I have read, understood, and agree to the contestant release. Hold harmless, and indemnity agreement listed in the contest rules below.