5th Annual ASEAN Youth Video Contest
Background and Introduction
The ASEAN Senior Officials Meeting on Youth (SOMY) is pleased to announce the 5th Annual ASEAN Youth Video contest (AYVC) focused on the theme: “Renewable Energy: Powering ASEAN’s Bright Future.” This contest is supported by the ASEAN Foundation, the U.S. Government through the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and the U.S Mission to ASEAN, and ASEAN-German Energy Programme (AGEP).
AGEP is a programme jointly implemented by ASEAN Centre for Energy (ACE) and Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
Sustainable energy is critical to the economic and environmental health of the ASEAN Community. As signatories of the Paris Agreement, ASEAN Member States (AMS) have set an aspirational regional target to increase renewable energy (RE) to 23% by 2025 under the ASEAN’s blueprint for regional energy cooperation, which is the ASEAN Plan of Actions for Energy Cooperation (APAEC) 2016 – 2025. The adoption of renewable energy policies not only draws in smarter technology to help ASEAN meet the energy demands of a growing population, but also conforms with aspirations for more advanced and smarter labor and technology inputs through the fourth Industrial Revolution (Industry 4.0).
To support ASEAN efforts to promote the importance of renewable energy throughout the region, we invite young ASEAN filmmakers to submit a 60-second video on the theme “Renewable Energy: Powering ASEAN’s Bright Future,” showcasing the benefits of Renewable Energy to the people of ASEAN.
Be creative! The top 10 entries will be selected to participate in an expert-led filmmaking workshop in Hanoi, Viet Nam and be eligible to win excellent prizes!
· The competition is open to amateur filmmakers (not currently employed in the video production profession), who are citizens of ASEAN Member States (AMS)—Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Viet Nam—and who currently reside in his/her home country.
· The contest is designed for aspiring filmmakers and interested youth. In the past, small teams have contributed to the design, development, and staging of video entries. This is acceptable, however, if a team works to produce a video, only one member of the team will be eligible to participate in the expert training event and receive attractive prizes.
· Candidates must be aged 18 to 30 years old at the time of deadline submission on March 5th, 2019.
· Finalists from previous years’ contests are not eligible to participate.
Entry and Selection Rules:
· Each short video entry must clearly and creatively address the theme “Renewable Energy: Powering ASEAN’s Bright Future” in 60 seconds or less.
. Choose one of these two ways to tell the story of renewable energy in ASEAN: 1) portray the benefits of renewables to the environment and/or societies; OR 2) portray youth’s efforts in using renewable energy in daily life.
. The video should be in English, or if created in local language the video should be complemented with English subtitles.
· Entries depicting violence, sexism, racism, or other inappropriate content such as smoking, drinking, or other vices, including messaging deemed to advocate curtailment of the rights of others, will be disqualified.
· A video production workshop for 10 selected finalists will be held at Media Training Centre of Vietnam Journalists Association (VJTC), Hanoi, Viet Nam in April 2019. Only one participant from each of the selected top 10 videos is invited to participate in the workshop.
· Selected finalists attending the video production workshop must have a valid passport allowing them to travel to Viet Nam and must have strong proficiency in English since the training will be conducted in English.
· Entries are limited to one video per individual or team.
· Each individual or team is strongly encouraged to have a Facebook account for ease of communication with the trainer and other participants.
· By entering the contest, participants acknowledge and guarantee that the submitted video is an original work created solely by the entrant and that it does not infringe on copyrights; trademarks; and the rights of privacy, publicity, or intellectual property rights of any person or entity.
· By submitting an entry to the video contest, participants agree to grant ASEAN, USAID, the U.S. Mission to ASEAN and AGEP the right to reproduce, distribute, display, and create derivative works of the entry in any media at any time.
60-second video submitted to http://www.aseanyouthvideocontest.com closing deadline
Technical Evaluation Committee (TEC) reviews video submissions
March 22 – April 2
Shortlisted videos are verified
Top 10 finalist videos announced
April 17 - April 20
Participant from each of the 10 selected finalist videos participates in four-day video production training workshop at Media Training Centre of Vietnam Journalists Association (VJTC), Hanoi, Viet Nam to formulate and begin working on their final two-minute video submissions
May 20 - May 23
10 finalists further refine their two-minute videos and submit
May 24 - June 23
TEC reviews video to determine the top three videos
June 24 - June 31
Final 10 videos shared for public viewing on the ASEAN Secretariat YouTube channel
Top three prizes announced
July 2019 / SOMY Meeting
Selection criteria for the video, prioritized by the judging panel:
· Adherence to the theme: The video clearly and creatively represents the theme of “Renewable Energy: Powering ASEAN’s Bright Future” through positive youth perspectives.
· Originality and creativity: The content is unique and not derivative of other ideas and presents the theme in an original and compelling way.
· Potential viewer impact: The video conveys personal or aspirational thoughts that are inspiring to viewers.
· Overall execution: The video reflects thoughtful framing and composition, presenting a clear story, is well-paced and focused, and has a clear and audible soundtrack and/or voice-over.
· Visual techniques: The visual content is appealing to viewers through composition and technique, using appropriate effects.
· Duration: The duration of the final video should not exceed 2 minutes.
· Excellent prizes for the top three videos will be given to the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Place winners!